We want to talk to you about 7 foods that increase your milk production.
Table of Contents
Do you want to know what foods can help you with breastfeeding?
Did you know that production can be promoted by doing something else? You are right.
It helps a lot that you stay hydrated and that your diet is varied and rich in nutrients and proteins. Still, if you think you need extra help, you have to know that there are certain foods that can help you make more milk.
They are so-called lactogenic foods. Here are these 7 foods that increase your milk production:
1. Oatmeal: It contains beta-glucan, which helps increase prolactin, the hormone responsible for milk production. Include oat flakes in your breakfast or oatmeal cookies. If you like to cook, why not use oatmeal to prepare your recipes?
2. Fennel: It contains phytoestrogens, natural estrogens that are found in some vegetables and that help in lactation. You can have fennel tea or add it to your salads.
3. Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, broccoli, kale … They all contain phytoestrogens and have traditionally been used to make more milk. It is important to consume them since they create new cells in addition to reducing the risks of cardiovascular diseases.
4. Garlic: It has many medical benefits. Its smell and taste pass into breast milk and it is believed that babies like it, encouraging them to suck for longer.
5. Flaxseeds: You can use flaxseeds (for example in salads) or if you prefer flaxseed oil.
6. Almonds: You can take them raw or take the almond milk.
7. Sesame seeds: Rich in calcium. You can take it in salads, take tahina, which is a paste made from sesame seeds, etc.
As with any other food, moderation is the key because too much taken can have some unwanted effects.
Although it does not represent a revolution, it is the obligation of pregnant and lactating mothers to strengthen their body with a healthy diet.
Keep in mind foods that contain Omega 3
since they will help stabilize your mood, you can find it in fatty fish such as salmon or sardines, you can also consume it in eggs produced by chickens fed with a diet that contains flaxseed and in nuts, mainly walnuts.
Important, eliminate stress
In addition to these 7 foods that increase your milk production, you should avoid stress. You must identify if you suffer from postpartum depression. If you feel stressed or tense, the milk will not flow.
Listen to music or try other techniques to help you relax. Try to get rid of negative thoughts because they also harm you and affect your stress. Try and you will see how this influences your production and will help you have more milk.
It can help you to know some tips and tricks to produce more breast milk. Did you know that at night is when there is the most milk production? Therefore, try to stimulate your breast with the breast pump at least once a night.
Many mothers worry about meeting their baby’s milk demands. The truth is that the more the baby is offered the breast, the more milk your body will produce.
If you are lucky enough to produce more milk than your baby demands
- You can choose to freeze it, but you have to be careful with the defrosting process, it must be carried out properly so that your baby can enjoy it as “just out” or you can choose the wonderful gesture of being a donor of breast milk
- When your child is a few days old, and even months old, it is most likely that he will fall asleep after eating, please for his safety, make sure to put him to bed well in case he spits up.
- Regurgitation is nothing more than the simple reflex of the food that the baby has just ingested, from the stomach to the mouth, without effort, and in a small amount, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- In case your baby is satisfied and does not need to eat more, you can choose a very helpful accessory, the breast pump. This helps pump your breasts when they are too full and without hurting your nipples, they do not cause irritation, they are easy to use and clean and they also help you to breastfeed your baby longer.