Here’s a plant-strong penne pasta dish, which we’re baking in the oven to reduce ‘hands-on’ time. Simple, hearty and nutritious, for any lunch or dinner. This penne pasta is based on a recipe I used to make all of the time when I first started cooking at home. It is so simple that anyone can make it. All you have to do is roast some vegetables, boil some pasta and toss it in marinara.
- Eggplant -1 (chopped into 1 inch/2.5cm cube)
- Zucchini -1 (chopped into 1 inch/2.5cm cube)
- Red bell pepper -1 (chopped into 1-inch chunks)
- Onion -1 (chopped into 1-inch chunks)
- Olive oil -1 tablespoon
- Land Seasoning blend – 1 tablespoon
- Gluten-Free pasta – 230 g
- Water – 960ml
- Sea salt – 2 pinches
- Chopped tomatoes, Canned -960g ( I used fire-roasted tomatoes, no added salt)
- Fresh basil – 30g (chopped)
- Mozzarella cheese – 140g (optional)
- Sea salt
Finely chopped fresh basil for garnish.
Steps to follow:
1. Set oven to grill (or broil ) at 500°F/ 260℃
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss cut veggies in a bowl with oil and seasoning. Then add the veggies to the baking tray. Roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are seared and veggies are softened.
3. Set the oven temperature to 400°F/ 200°C / Gas 6.
4. Set a deep skillet on medium-high heat, add water along with pinches of sea salt to bring water to a boil. Add the pasta to the pot and cover to cook for 6-8 minutes. After about 5 minutes & the pasta has almost finished cooking, remove the top and let the majority of the water evaporate. Let about 25% remain (to prevent the pasta burning).
5. Reduce the heat to medium, then add the canned tomatoes, basil, and roasted vegetables. Gently stir & fold the pasta and veggies together.
6. Add mozzarella to the skillet, then cover it and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. For the final 5 minutes, remove the top and let the cheese brown a bit.
7. Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Approx macros for 1 of 5 servings
- Calories -327
- Carbs -439
- Fat -11g
- Protein -199
- Sugar -149
- Fiber -10g