Learn about the benefits and possible drawbacks of consuming almond milk. I also learned how to prepare it to take advantage of all its properties
Whether out of necessity, out of curiosity, or out of a desire to change or supplement traditional dairy, more and more people are interested in milk derived from nuts or other plant foods. We tell you what can be the substitutes and the benefits of almond milk. Learn about the advantages and disadvantages and what are the recommendations of nutritionists.
Table of Contents
Almond milk: properties, pros, and cons
Almond milk, like other vegetable milk, is not technically milk but a drink that is achieved by grinding this dried fruit with water. It can be used in coffee, to make smoothies, juices and to hydrate on very hot days or after training.
Thanks to a large amount of minerals, vitamins, and fibers that the almond contains, if we integrate this milk into our diet we will be adding multiple and varied beneficial nutrients to our body.
To know more about what it is, we present the 5 outstanding properties of this product:
- It has a high concentration of carbohydrates and is rich in protein.
- It is a source of Omega 6, Magnesium and Zinc.
- It does not contain gluten.
- It contains vitamins A, B2, D and E.
- The consumption of almonds or their derivatives provides a high percentage of the Phosphorus and Iron that you need for your day today.
Almond milk benefits
- As it is a vegetable food, it is special for those who suffer from lactose intolerance. It also does not contain gluten, which makes it suitable for celiacs.
- Thanks to its high fiber content, it helps improve digestion and relieve constipation.
- For every 100 grams of almonds, 252 milligrams of calcium are obtained. Several studies claim that a glass of almond milk has more calcium than the same amount of cow’s milk.
- It is an important source of potassium, essential if you play sports.
- It lowers LDL cholesterol levels (better known as “bad cholesterol”) and increases HDL (the “good”) levels.
- It is rich in natural antioxidants and minerals that help strengthen bones, hair, and nails.
- Its essential fatty acids help improve heart health.
Disadvantages or issues to consider
Although this drink has a lot of beneficial health aspects, there are also certain precautions that some people should take before drinking it:
- People with thyroid problems should not consume almond milk. There is a compound in this nut that inhibits the absorption of iodine and this can damage or affect the functioning of the glands.
- Nor can those who are allergic to nuts.
It is not a food suitable for newborn babies. Although it is very nutritious, babies need certain nutrients that they must incorporate with breast milk and are not replaced by this vegetable drink.
- If you don’t make your own almond milk, pay special attention to the sugar content of products they sell in stores or diet stores. Some manufacturers add a lot of sweeteners to enhance the flavor.
How to prepare almond milk
You can also prepare your own almond milk, a recipe that will allow you to incorporate essential nutrients into your daily diet. To make it, you need:
- 150 grams of almonds.
- 750 milliliters of water.
Then, I followed the following steps:
- Arrange the almonds in a bowl and completely cover them with water. Let them sit overnight.
- The next day, you have to wash them well, drain them and put them in the blender glass.
- Incorporate the 750 ml. of water.
- Process at maximum speed until a homogeneous texture is formed.
- Pass the content through a strainer to remove possible remains that affect the texture of the milk.
Ready! Your almond milk is finished so you can take it as you like. If you prefer it to be sweet, you can add honey or other types of sweeteners. To preserve it, it is best to use a jar or bottle and store it for about 5 days in a refrigerator. Keep in mind that the container must be completely sterilized to avoid any type of contamination.
Recipes with almond milk
A good way to incorporate almond milk into your breakfasts or snacks is to take it with coffee or tea. If you want to innovate with a new recipe, we leave you three that may interest you:
1. Strawberry banana smoothie
To prepare it, you need half a cup of almond milk, half a cup of strawberries, half a frozen banana, a cup of blueberries, honey and ice to taste. Mix everything with a mixer at maximum power until you achieve the desired texture. Smoothie ideal for a hot afternoon.
2. Mocha coffee with almond milk
Infuse almond milk, chopped chocolate, orange peel, cinnamon and soluble coffee in a pot for 10 minutes. Wait for it to boil and beat to melt the chocolate. After a few minutes, I poured into a cup to enjoy a super aromatic and delicious drink.
3. Matcha Latte Frappé
If you want to add the properties of matcha with those of almond milk, this is your chance. You just have to blend:
- 250 milliliters of almond milk.
- A tablespoon of matcha.
- Enough ice to achieve the texture.
- Sweetener to taste.
If you are one of those who still did not know what almond milk is for, now you have all the information about its benefits and benefits. It’s time to make yours at home and add it to your diet to gain health and well-being!